If students are to achieve their full potential, excellent attendance and punctuality are critical. The link between attendance and achievement is well documented.
At Hanham Woods Academy we want all of our students to achieve the very best examination results that they can and poor attendance is likely to have a significant impact on student achievement. Students with irregular attendance…..
- Get behind with work
- Lose the thread of the topics being taught
- Become de-motivated on return to school
- Loose friendships
- Miss out on important career and guidance input
- Miss out on extra-curricular opportunities
- Are less likely to feel part of the school
Excellent attendance is key to a student’s success in school and so, at Hanham Woods Academy we actively promote and celebrate good attendance, monitor individual’s attendance and act when a student’s attendance falls below 96%.
Things to Remember
- If your child is sick please call the attendance line on 0117 440 8900 / Option 1 before 8:30am to advise; providing details of the type of illness. If your child is sick for more than one day you will need to call on each morning of the absence.
- Your child must arrive at school on time. If they are late, sanctions may be imposed.
- Unauthorised absences may result in a penalty notice of £60 per parent, per child.
- As a result of new legislation since September 2013, the Academy is not permitted to grant leave of absence for holidays during term time, any unauthorised time off for a holiday will result in a penalty notice.
Sanctions for lateness will be imposed on a daily basis. After each late arrival a lunch time detention will be given. Late arrivals after the register has closed (9.30am) will be recorded as an unauthorised absence. Parents will be notified of any late arrivals by a text message.
If your child is sick please call the attendance line on 0117 440 8900 / Option 1 before 8:30am to advise; providing details of the type of illness. If your child is sick for more than one day you will need to call on each morning of the absence to advise.
If you do need to make a medical appointment for your child please try and arrange for before or after school.
Holidays / Term Time Leave
As per current regulations and DfE advice on school attendance (2013) we would like to advise you that the Principal will not grant any Leave of Absence in term time unless exceptional circumstances exist. By exceptional we mean rare, significant, unavoidable and short. By unavoidable, we mean an event that could not reasonably be arranged another time.
Please click here to download a Leave of Absence Request Form